Finding Promising Freelance Writing Jobs For Journalists: Vital Advice
If you’re a journalist looking for an online job, you can fast-track your road to success by following the tips found below. There are many places online advertising for writers. Unless you specifically look for a journalist position, you may end up in a low-paying, mediocre writing position that won’t help you fulfill you dream of working online for a living.
It’s better to only look at positions specific to your skills and talents so that you get the experience you want in your field and you also get paid what you’re worth. So how do you find these jobs and how do you win contracts and keep clients? Here are some tips you can use to be successful:
- 1. Have a portfolio ready to use. You will need this for the sites where you post your profile. You can find journalist-type writing gigs at writing agencies online where writers wait for potential clients to post their jobs and then they compete for the contract. This is a pretty good way to start out. Make sure your portfolio contains some of your best work, and as wide a variety as possible. It’s best if at least some of the work has already been published. In that case, provide the link to where it can be found on the web.
- 2. Fill out your profile with all the information you have. If there are fields you don’t have anything for, then get the data they require so you can show a complete portfolio. This may require you to take some simple tests within the writing company’s dashboard. This will show potential employers you are serious about what you do.
- 3. Once you’ve started to get some clients and have a little bit of income start looking around for more permanent writing positions. For example, news blogs. You can contact the web owner with a proposal and some samples. There are many webmasters always looking for good journalists.
- 4. Go to journalist forums online and find out where they hang out. You can gain a lot of useful info here. There are also job boards for journalists where you can post your offer. The more places you get exposure, the quicker you can connect with your dream job.
- 5. Start making contacts with other journalists and see what strategies they are using.
- 6. Identify successful writers in your field and send them an email letting them know you admire their work and like their style. Tell them you are looking for jobs and see if they have any recommendations for you.